A New Bodyshell and Column Shroud

 So in my last post I said how long I had left the car for and as it was wiring that I was working on  back then, I had to refresh my memory of where I was at and so I dug out my wiring loom directions and revisited the hazard lights. Quickly realised that the switch I was trying to use was a 2 x relay type and so having used this loom a number of times I dug out one of my old build blogs and ordered the same switch as before and sorted it very quickly. 


Since Quantum have acquired the kits manufacturing rights the interest in the car has jumped quite dramatically, noticeable on various FB groups for one thing. I have spoken with them and am looking forward to their new body shell. So much so that I am going to IVA with my current shell and then fit their new one afterwards. It means I wont need lots of IVA bits after Im passed and registered. So that means I wont have to have a fog or reverse light, no side repeaters or wing mirrors, basically I can do as I please as long as it meets MOT standards (3 years after IVA test) 

So anyway, IVA stuff..... 

I have reworked/checked and double checked the whole of the front of the car and engine bay. Next will be to move to the back which is quite literally the biggest business end of IVA, why? Fuel tank, handbrake, brake pipe runs oh and rear ride height. I may be going too far but I think I am going to put another fixing in on one pipe to the tank and I may actually rework one of the brake pipe runs with a braided flexi pipe where the pipe leaves the chassis and heads to the splitter on the subframe, not just for IVA but because the more I look at it the more I think its a long run across to the splitter, copper/cuprinol brake pipe can fracture quite easily with metal fatigue and its way easier to do it now then when the bodys on and the underside of the car has a few dirty road miles on it.

Under the steering colum the ignition and indicator/high beam wiring are exposed so I made myself a shroud out of some ali I had....


Using a spare lower cowel I had I shaped and fitted it to the spare......


Then I rounded some edges and checked it against the dash profile...


Primed up after keying and cleaning.....


Then some satin black to A. Match the cowel and B. Subdue it so that it doesnt look like a colourful Halfords add on


Quite a few IVA bits of trim ordered, so this week I will start to remove certain parts, change them for IVA ok and then add some edge trim to the likes of the spotlight recesses etc (If the spots arent there they cant be tested)


Popular Posts