Back From A Long Break

 Well all the cliches about why a car project slows all fit my situation. House move, kids, mountain biking, summer, family post lockdown do's, oh and the fact I have another kit project and my mk1 to maintain!

All that said I am back at it with a vengeance now. Ive removed the body again as I want to do some body mods which are just easier with the body off. One thing I have been looking at for months is what to do with the faux side vents. If I was to keep them I would have wanted them functional but I really couldnt think of a good solution. Having spent more time looking at a lot of other 50s sports racers and specials I decided I quite like the look of no vents and number roundels on the wings rather the doors.

                                     So it was time to bust out the brave pills and cut them out.


I used my multitool to cut out the originals


And cleaned the Gravitex off the back of the removed panel



Then using ali strips and tek screws I mounted the salvaged backing


Also keyed the area inside the wing


Masked up a bit to stop any resin runs on the gelcoat



Multiple layers of glass mat fitted inside


Once hardened, I put even more bevel on the panel edges to allow a good strong bond
with the Chop Strand Filler


This is where I am currently at. I have left the filler so there is enough room to skim the void with a flexible smooth body filler. Im pretty pleased with it so far. Another job I need to do with the body off is to trim my wheel arches back a couple of cm's. I'll try and get a couple of evenings at it this week. Whilst the body is off I will also look at the rolling chassis and see if theres any remaning jobs to do that will be easier with the body off for hopefully the last time.

All for now and back soon! 


Popular Posts