Bonnet and boot fixings

 So back at it again with some time off. I hope to be moving house soon and the car will be trailered there. On that basis I wanted to make sure the bonnet and boot were securely fixed to the car. 


Previously I have fitted the button push QR's to the rear of the bonnet, I decided to hide them I would fit some leather straps. Ive used some of these before and the last ones I had were cheap and didnt look very nice so I decided to shell out for some more expensive ones.



Fitting is very straightforward, the stainless machine screws are only M4 so I placed ali off cut plates under the bonnet to spread any load stress.






For the front I decided I wanted to be able to slide the bonnet on and for it to secure on the reinforced area at the nose of the engine bay. 
I've used 4 mm ali for strength and I bent them to shape in my vice.



I measured carefully about 3 times to ensure the best/strongest grip area.


Then to test them I temporarily glued them in place


Very pleased to say they are a lovely fit.

Next was to glass them in....




4 seperate layers of glass should do the trick. I'll keep an eye on this in the coming months looking for any stress and if needs be I can fit a 1/4 lock or other catch.

So the boot, I have the mini hinges already placed and so I fitted the old school spring clips to the top.


All taped up and measured to ensure spring would be under tension


Behind the top retainer I again put an ali load spreader


The larger bolt has an M8 rubber washer with a stainless one on top then the same inside the boot. I have ordered some clear ones to compare the two looks 


Im really happy with the overall look at the rear now with the fuel cap, hinges and these springs.




Lastly I had been battling trying to remove some of the residue on the bodywork, mainly at the rear lights. I had tried white spirit, celly thinners, G3 but no joy. Then by chance I tried the old faithful WD40 and it has done a good job so far. I really think I got a 'Friday afternoon' shell as its just not finished well and has multiple issues. Probably explains why its the only one that the manufacturer didnt post on their Facebook page when I picked it up.  






Will be taking the body off again soon for the final time to do some trimming to the windshield area. Im glad I noticed this now as it would have been impossible post IVA with the body final fitted. Well not impossible but a massive ball ache with body removal. It's not mentioned in any build threads so I had no idea and chanced on it by luck. I referenced it with another builders shell and his is absolutely perfect out of the box. Annoying but at least I spotted it now and not later.










Popular Posts