Back at it! Rear body mounts, door hinges, wing mirrors.

 Well I haven't been able to work on the car for over a month due to a week away with the wife, year end at work and the obvious Crimbo stuff. 

I have a couple of days this week and am hoping to crack some of the last list of mechanical/cosmetic bits. Then it will be a case of finishing off wiring some simple bits and some not so simple ones. 


Firstly I wanted to finish the rear body mounts, as you'll know I modified some universal engine mounts and now I copied a fellow builders idea (cheers Scott!) The body is currently loosely fitted and so I raised the rear of it about 4-5 inches and taped some plastic to the shell to stop the Tiger seal setting on the body. 


I then removed the mounts and built very generous layers of Tiger seal, dropping the body back on for a few hours. Then raising it again, removing the plastic and then added a final generous build of Tiger seal and have now dropped the body on them.


I'll get some photos when its finally set in place.

Next I moved onto the door hinges. Looking at the build guide, the old MEV that is I think my hinges are different as if I tried to mount them in the position in the guid my door would not have opened.

Pic below is following the guide but no good for me...


and below is my actual placement, my hinges are a more custom finish than some of the budget ones and so thats probably the issue




However its all sorted now. Then it will be onto the lower ones, when I do that I'll drop a plumb line to make sure the fulcrum points are aligned to ensure there is no binding.

Next job, always nice to have a bling job to finish with.... These are the mirrors I am using, they wont be used for the IVA test but the ones that will be are similar in that they are only a single nut/bolt mount.




Although I was careful to measure to position the mirrors the same, I then found out that the body isnt even symetrical. So be careful and do it by eye and not precison measuring. There's no precision in the body moulds. 


So that was half a day today and Im hoping for a full day tomorrow and or Wednesday.

Happy New Year folks.






Popular Posts